The brand new Sutton Bank Bikes cycling centre will open in the autumn thanks to a partnership between Pace Cycles and the North York Moors National Park Authority.
Located at the picturesque Sutton Bank top, the centre aims to encourage more people to cycle and enjoy the landscape of the National Park which is, the blurb says, ‘probably the best Park in the country for family cycling’.
The centre will include a café, visitor centre, retail sales, tuition and generally be a hub for cycling. Key to the project is the combining of a new 4.5-kilometre family cycle route taking cyclists along Sutton Bank cliff with the existing bridleway network. Built by National Park staff with permission of landowners in the area, the family trail links into many kilometres of waymarked and managed routes suitable for a wide variety of abilities.
"Two years in development this unique project reinforces North Yorkshire’s position as England’s premier cycling destination," said Adrian Carter of Pace Cycles. "Positioned at nearly 1000 feet high Sutton Bank Bikes spectacular location combines road rides on quiet country lanes with wild rides on the open moor, family friendly trails with technically challenging natural riding and a great café and visitor centre."
Building on the Tour de France legacy and the National Park getting behind cycling for all on the Park’s numerous scenic bridleways, roads and lanes, Sutton Bank Bikes will offer:
- Cycle hire
- Retail sales of mountain bikes and road bikes with a range of clothing and accessories as well as high quality repair and servicing
- Cycling tuition and skills development
- Guided and self-guided cycle rides for cyclists of all abilities, but particularly families and those returning or new to cycling
- Trailers and Tag-A-Long bikes for young children
- Tandem and Electric bikes
- A purpose built skills area
- Bikewash arranged around the existing visitor centre, café and parking areas
- Due to its central location within a network of cycle friendly lanes, a series of road riding loops will be mapped out for the visitor. (Sutton Bank is also on Sustrans National Cycle Network route no. 656 see www.sustrans.org.uk for details).
Sutton Bank Bikes, which will be open all year round, aims to stress the educational side of the venture by engaging with the wider community, local authorities, schools, colleges and independent organisations. The partnership has the potential to make the new business a leading cycling centre of the north and to make Sutton Bank a ‘must visit’ destination, Pace said.