Role: Workshop Manager
Fettle is a rapidly expanding bike repair and service company that is dedicated to promoting sustainable transportation and making cycling more accessible for everyone. We are passionate about providing the highest-quality repair and maintenance services for bicycles of all types, and we believe that our success depends on working collaboratively, continuously learning, and always putting our customers first.
At Fettle, we are committed to creating a culture of teamwork, innovation, and excellence that inspires our employees to achieve their full potential and to deliver outstanding service to our customers. We value integrity, professionalism, and a strong work ethic, and we believe that every member of our team has an important role to play in helping us achieve our goals.
Cyclists using the fettle service will have access to:
- Super-Convenient, Central Locations: As our network of locations grows we will provide full city coverage.
- Handy Collection Service: We believe customers want convenience and if that means we need to collect and drop off the bike, we will.
- Smooth, Simple Technology: As well as being into our bikes we are also tech geeks and believe we have the right knowledge to build an awesome platform which is easy for cyclists to use and helps mechanics work smartly and efficiently
- Quality Services: Not only are our mechanics the best in-class, we are a friendly company who is obsessed with giving our customers unbeatable services using great new technology
About The Role
As a Fettler, you will play a critical role in ensuring that our customers receive the best possible service, and that our workshops are efficient, well-managed, and always up to standards. You will be responsible for diagnosing and repairing a wide range of bicycle problems, recommending and selling appropriate parts and accessories, and maintaining accurate records of all repairs and transactions.
As a Workshop Manager will be responsible for the running and maintaining of an individual Fettle workshop, and ultimately will be accountable for the success and profitability of the workshop itself. They will oversee all touchpoints throughout the customer journey, ensuring that their team is following processes effectively and efficiently. They will be accountable for all operational aspects of the site, including stock, setup, and security, as well as the performance and development of the mechanics working in this site.
- Responsible for the day-to-day management and engagement of the workshop’s mechanics, as well as their long-term performance management.
- Effectively and accurately manage the diary and systems / procedures and processes to ensure maximum efficiency of the workshop
- Provide and oversee a first class customer experience, managing all methods of communication that we use.
- Ensuring that their workshop is hitting revenue and margin targets, and that these are clearly communicated and understood within the team
- Responsible for overseeing and managing stock levels within the workshop and keeping stock well organised
- Accountable for the maintenance and appearance of the workshop, raising any issues and keeping cleanliness and organisation top class
- Overseeing and managing the workshop’s rota, including holiday requests
- Ensuring that all processes are adhered to, suggesting feedback improvements where possible
- Accountable for health and safety within the workshop
- Working closely with Operations and HQ to drive incremental improvements to performance and engagement
- Effectively training, nurturing and developing the mechanics within the workshop, with technical and soft skills
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Must have demonstrable experience equating to a Cytech Level 3 qualification (the qualification itself is not a must, but must be able to demonstrate knowledge)
- This individual will have great commercial acumen, including an in-depth awareness of the workings of retail and knowledge on how to serve customers in the best way possible, solving their issues
- Experience or knowledge of the operational side of running a retail site, including store security, stock management
- Flexible individual who can deal with constantly changing environments and react to them in a positive, proactive manner – this person will be able to spin multiple plates at the same time and thrives when doing so
- Experience line managing individuals, including exposure to recruitment, training and day-to-day task delegation
- A natural problem solver, able to pinpoint the cause of a wide range of issues, both big and small, with the tenacity to solve it – this person is both patient and determined
- Buzzing about all things cycling, with a real passion for the sport, bikes themselves, and a willingness to learn all there is to know about bike repairs and servicing
- High levels of professional integrity with a strong sense of ownership; they will want to make all types of challenges their own, and to finish things to a high standard
- Comfortable with the thought of working independently, but also willing to be a team player; this person has got their team’s back
- Tech-savvy, and happy to adapt to changing systems and environments in a technological way
- Enjoys interacting with customers, this person is naturally helpful and keen to provide a great customer service
As a fettler, you’ll get:
- Training opportunities in bike repair and new bike technology, so that you can keep up to speed with exciting developments in the bike world.
- Trade prices on bike parts and accessories from the day you start, to keep your own bike going for a better price.
- 28 days annual leave per year, and an extra day off for your birthday and an extra 3 days leave around Christmas.
- Opportunity to expand within our fast growing network of repair shops
- Monthly team activities.
- Lunch for the team is on us every fortnight.
We have created an interview process that is quick and easy, helping us to get to know you and vice versa. Once you’ve applied, you can expect us to arrange a quick phone call with you if we feel you have the right profile. Next, we will ask you to come into one of our workshops to meet the team and show us what you can do! If all goes well, you can expect an offer very shortly after.
If the role and company we’ve described in this advert sounds like a bit of you, then we’d love to hear from you! To apply, please email with your CV and a cover letter that answers these 3 questions:
- What makes you the right person for this opportunity?
- What is the most challenging problem you have faced whilst working in a workshop and why was it challenging?
- Given a blank canvas, what changes would you like to make to the bicycle repair industry?
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.